Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Sushi is coming to Town!

Last week we had one of our favorites for dinner...SUSHI! We have homemade sushi and don't use fish. I like mine with veggies, and my brothers like theirs with beef. Blech...on the beef because I don't like beef. Not because it is an animal. It doesn't taste good to me.




How to make homemade sushi

Items you need:
  • Cut up veggies, cubbed or slivers (like thing slices with cucumbers)
  • Mom buys the bag broccoli coleslaw and uses that too
  • Cooked beef or chicken
  • 3 cups cooked rice
  • Sushi bamboo mat: Dyson and mom found it at Ralphs
  • Nori sheets
  • Rice Wine Vinegar
  • Furikake see the picture below it seasons the rice
How to make Sushi


  1. With the rice, put in some rice wine vinegar and the seasoning for rice. You have to taste it to see if you have the flavor right for you.
  2. Put water mixed with about a tablespoon of rice wine vinegar. You will use this rice water so that the rice won't stick to your hands.
  3. Get our your mat and lay a piece of nori on it.
  4. Dip your hands in the rice wine vinegar water. Do not dry off!
  5. Spread the rice around on the nori leaving an inch at the top. You will have to dip your hands more than once in the water to keep the rice from sticking to your hands. You need a thin layer of rice.
  6. Make 2 lines where you want to put the veggies and/or meat. You want them to be about in the middle.
  7. Put the veggies and/or meat of the 2 lines that you have made. My mom always makes my brothers put veggies in theirs.
  8. Now the tricky part...rolling. It takes practice. Mom says to bring the mat over the filling and tuck it in and start to roll. You don't meet the to edges together. You want to bring the top just under the rice line, tuck and then begin rolling and keep tuck in. You mess up the first one, but soon you get the hang of it.
  9. Cut into about 6-8 pieces. Enjoy!




You need these 2 things for Step 1.









Step #6, putting lines on the rice






Step #7, the VEGGIES :)








Step #8, rolling, I didn't really roll this part. She made me hold it and took a picture of me.









Now the best part...Eating the Sushi!




May the roll be with you,
Grace

3 comments:

  1. Hey Gracie! I didn't know that you made sushi?! I have never made sushi before, and I was interested. I confess that I would prefer beef to fish 'though. Do you use raw fish? I know that sounds stupid, but I was just curious.
    -Lindsay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you can use what ever you want,i don't even use fish,or because i don't like the taste and cant eat chicken so i just use veggies,and i would probly cook the fihs or buy it smoked.

      Delete
  2. Man my hair was short then!!!

    ReplyDelete