Sunday, June 12, 2011

Yummy! Cherry Pie!

Do you like or LOVE Cherry Pies? If you do, you need to get Pie in the Sky by Lois Ehlert RIGHT NOW!

This book is about a cherry tree and how to make cherry pies. There is a recipe in the book as you read the story. The s
tory is a little funny because the boy in the story looks
forward to having cherries to eat,
and the animals keep coming and eating all the cherries. At the end of the story, he wonders if the birds would like the pie he makes with his dad.

So, today, my dad was thinking of making a cherry pie. He went on the internet and found a recipe that would take 2 hours and 55 mins plus time to cool. Then he remembered how much we loved reading this book and how the recipe was right there.

My dad couldn't find the book, but I quickly did. I looked right at it and found
the rainbow design on the side on the bottom shelf right where my mom said it was.

For my family in the midwest, you might think it strange to make a cherry pie now, but cherries are in season in California. We have eaten a lot of cherries already. I think I have eaten almost 2 pounds by myself! I'm going CRAZY for cherries :)

The pie was fun to make because I got the first taste of the cherry goo right from the oven. I stuck my pinkie in and dug, and it got hot. I was meaning to let my pinkie cool off, but it was too hot with the cherry goo. It was so YUMMY. My tongue still hurts from that.

Recipe time from the book:

Ingredients:
  • 4 cups red sour cherries
  • 5 TBSP. flour
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
  • pie crust (we cheat and buy ours)
  • 9 inch pan

Directions:
  1. Wash the cherries
  2. squeeze out all the pits and save the juice. The book says 1/2 cup of juice, but we had 1/3 cup.
  3. Put cherries in bowl after squeezing them; juice is in another bowl
  4. add the cherry juice, flour, sugar, and Cinnamon and stir it with a spoon.
  5. Prepare your pie crust in the pie pan.
  6. Pre-heat oven to 450° F
  7. add filling to pie crust
  8. add top crust
  9. press around crust edge to seal with a fork
  10. make vent holes in whatever design you like. Make the lines or holes small. You'll see why later
  11. Bake 10 mins
  12. Reduce heat to 350°F and continue to bake for 35-40 mins or until brown
  13. Let cool or you'll have burned tongue!
  14. Enjoy!
Suggestions to serve it: You can add whipped cream and/or ice cream with you
r pie.










Raw Pie (slits TOO BIG) Baked Pie (See slits got TOO BIG!)

So, buy the book, and read it. Have a good laugh, and then make the pie!

My the PIE be with you,
Grace

1 comment: